Sunday, June 12, 2016

Air Force Cycling Classic Crystal Cup

Today we raced the Air Force Cycling Classic Crystal cup. The race was 90 minutes long over a 6 turn 0.8 mile course. Since this race was an omnium I was looking for a break yet again. I stayed patient near the front like yesterday and let small moves that did not have UHC and Astellas roll. About 30 minutes into the race a big split with UHC and Astellas riders went, and I knew this was the move. Nicolai went with the move, and I was positioned right behind him. I hesitated because I did not want to drag the whole peloton to him, and that hesitation meant I missed the move. From this point I surfed at the front of the peloton and covered some small moves, but nothing would really roll. Oliver got into a move with one other rider for a while but was reabsorbed by the peloton shortly after Nicolai took a lap. My goal from that point on was to protect Nicolai, so he could get the best possible result. With about 8 laps to go he was caught behind a crash and had to get back up, and with 6 laps to go I was also caught behind a crash. I was surprised that I was able to get back to the front of the peloton, so when I got there I helped Oliver and Jonah to help Nicolai. With two laps to go UHC took over the pace and had a gap with 10 riders that we missed out on. Jonah crushed it going into one to go and then I took over giving it everything I had. When I stopped pulling I realized I had a gap on Nicolai, an error on my part. At the end of the day Nicolai came away with 7th in the race, and I feel we worked well as a team. The Air Force Cycling Classic was put on very well, and I am happy I was able to take part in it. Now we are headed to the North Star Grand Prix that starts this Wednesday.

No comments: