Sunday, June 05, 2016

Johnson City RR and TT

Yesterday Oliver, Jonah, and I raced the Johnson City Road Race. The race took place on a rolling course and finished up a 7 mile climb. We had Jonah control the race and cover early moves. He did a super job because no move was able to get significant a gap. This allowed Oliver and I to sit in all day long. With roughly 30 miles to go Oliver followed a couple guys, and this put me in a nice position for the end of the race. Oliver's break build up a gap relatively quickly and arrived at the base of the climb with a 3 minute lead. At the bottom Oliver dropped his break mates and soloed to the finish line. With Oliver up the road I was able to follow other riders up the hill. I would randomly attack to try to get away and wear down the guys I was with. By the finish we caught both the riders who started the climb with Oliver. I was only with Sean Gardner of Kelly amateur team, and I outsprinted him to take second place. This was a really fun race because tactically we rode perfectly and took 1st and second place.

The TT took place on a 3.2 mile rolling course. This TT is always tough because you have the road race from the morning in your legs already. I gave it all I had and came away with second place to Jonathan Freter of Astellas. He put in a stellar ride. I am leading the GC heading into the crit today. Oliver is sitting in third, so we have a strong position for the overall.

No comments: