Thursday, July 21, 2016

Road Atlanta Circuit Race

The Georgia Cycling Grand Prix kicked off last night with the Road Atlanta circuit race. The course starts off with a tough 12% wall, and then it rolls throughout the backside of the course, heading downhill again and into a false flat uphill to the finish line. The course is relatively easy if you sit in, so I decided to save my bullets for the end of the race. I made sure to be attentive over the steep hill every lap. A lot of people attacked early, but I kept conserving my energy. Finally 45 minutes into the race the break of the day rolled with 6 guys. I was confident I would be able to attack on the hill and bridge to the break late in the race. With about 30 minutes left to race I started attacking up the steep hill and going hard afterwards. I did this every lap through the finale but was never able to get away. I guess a 25 second hill isn't long enough to make a difference, and I totally misjudged the race. I had a great time and sprinted in for 19th place to grab a couple points for the omnium. It is important to take points on all stages in an omnium because the points add up throughout the event. Tonight we race a crit at the Gwinnett Arena.

No comments: