Friday, July 05, 2019

Dear Miles


Dear Miles,

When you were first born people asked me if I felt any different, and I told them "Nothing is different. I am still the same person." Little did I know how much my life was going to change.

Miles on his first picnic

Shortly after you were born I decided to stop racing bikes professionally. For the last two years (the 2017 and 2018 racing seasons) I was out of town roughly 120 days per year. I decided that was too much time away from home while you were growing up. I wanted to watch you grow, and I did not want to miss a thing. I also had a few friends who were dads tell me they wish they had spent more time with their children when their children were younger. I used this information to make my decision. I am thankful to those friends for their honesty.

Miles Bouncing in his Bouncer

Another thing that changed is I took on a job as a driver at FedEx. This was a very tough job at first, but I got the hang of it and became very efficient at it.

Miles Roaming Around the Kitchen in the Chihuahua

I kept doing my coaching work. That is one thing that remained constant besides my family life. I am glad I kept doing my coaching work because I kept learning more and more about it. This year I helped my athletes improve more than I have ever helped them improve before. It is fun that this part of my life remained constant. It was also fun for me to improve at this part of my life while growing in other ways. It comes as a surprise that as I was more busy I became better at something too.

Miles Cruising

With the FedEx and the coaching work I have remained highly busy. However, I have been able to spend at minimum about 2 hours a day with you every week day. On the weekends we get to spend even more time together. I got exactly what I wanted by stopping racing. I got to see you every day! The moments I spend with you and your mom are the best moments of my life! You are now 9 months old. I have watched you go from a blob who did not eat too much. After only a few months you were drinking 40-50 ounces of formula a day! I think you have my metabolism. You love to jump in your bouncer, and you love to walk around the house in your walker. We call it the chihuahua aka the ankle biter. You took a long time to show us you could sit up (roughly seven months), but after you sat up you got on the move quickly. You did not stop moving. At first you rolled over across the room. Then you began to crawl. When you started to crawl you almost immediately started pulling yourself up on your feet. Now you are trying to climb over things and are walking while you hold onto things like your crib or the walls of your play pin. I imagine you will be walking soon. It is so exciting to watch your development! One thing that has also never changed is how much you smile. You are the happiest baby ever. You always smile and always have smiled at everyone. Your smile is the greatest! You make me so happy when you smile. You have taught me that I can accomplish much more in a day than I previously thought was possible. You have made me a better man, and you make me feel a completeness I never knew existed before your mom and I had you. You are the greatest thing that ever happened to me!

Love,
Dad

2 comments:

Targeting Pro said...

What a beautiful tribute from father to son - made me cry happy tears! Miles is so lucky to have such loving parents, what a perfect family!

Jim said...

Glad to see that you decided on a longer term course of action.
Alice and I wish you the best.
A word from one who has been there.
As good as children are, grandchildren are 100 times better.
I can't believe the things I missed with my children growing up because you see them day by day.
Grandchildren allow you to see them develop with the interference of a job or other daily activities.
It is GREAT!!!
In the meantime, make sure you enjoy every single minute you can. In the end, they go by much faster that you will ever believe,