Saturday, May 08, 2010

Joe Martin Stage Race Stage 2

Yesterday was the second stage of the Joe Martin Stage Race. It was about 110 miles and had 3 climbs. The final climb was 9 miles long but not too steep. There were also lots of rolling hills. During the beginning of the stage I made sure to hydrate well with my Ion Competition drink and eat a lot of food to prevent bonking. On each of the climbs my hamstrings would cramp because my lack of climbing fitness. I had to push just hard enough to not cramp. Up the first two climbs I managed to make it back on to the group. Over the last climb I made it over with a group of five and made it to the finish about 25 minutes down on the bunch and made the time cut. My Ion- United Healthcare teammate Spencer Gaddy made the front group to finish in 62 place. He thought the day was relatively easy. Hopefully I can hydrate and eat a lot today and feel better on this stage and Spencer can feel as good as he did yesterday. Today is a 92 mile road race with more hills.

No comments: