Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Tobago International Cycling Classic Stage 2

Stage 2 of the Tobago International Cycling Classic was 4 laps on a hilly and technical 25km loop that started and finished at Turtle Beach. This stage is a really fun one and one I came in second last year. I looked forward to it today a lot. The biggest climb on the circuit came in about 3km into the loop, so it was important to start at the front and be at the front on the start of the climb. I employed these tactics, and Reid, Matthieu, and me made it over the climb in the front group of 20-25 riders. However, when I got to the top of the climb I felt like my rear tire was low on pressure, so I took the descent super slow and dropped off the back. That was the end of my race. When I rolled through the start finish line Reid was there. After 2 laps of the race our whole team was dropped and Oliver was the only one still in the race. The race was ripped to shreds, and a Venezuelan rider won by 2-3 minutes over a few riders. Oliver was our only rider to finish in 20th place. Tomorrow we have a rest day and beach party. The final two days of the classic are crits, and on Sunday we race the UCI race. Hopefully we can help Emile get a win in one or both the crits!

No comments: