Friday, October 02, 2015

Tobago International Cycling Classic Stage 3



Stage 3 of the Tobago International Cycling Classic was a 50 lap crit on a tight 1km circuit next to the beach in the town of Plymouth. There was a goat next to the course, glass, and gravel on the circuit, and there is a 3 foot drop into a sewer if you take turn 1 too hot. The plan for the day was to put Emile and Matthieu into a break. I started in the middle of the field, so I spent the first 8 laps killing myself to make it to the front. I made it there and covered a move. There was a sprint prime with 40 laps to go that Matthieu, a Cocos rider, a Foundation rider, and the yellow jersey of the race went for. I went to the front and slowed the pace through turns 1 and 2. I did this for a few more laps until the break was established. From then I just sat near the front with Emile and just watched as PSL (the yellow jerseys team who I call pumpkin spice latte to myself) set a slow pace to let the four guys get a huge gap. With about 25 laps to go Matthieu and his 3 companions lapped up. At this point I lead Matthieu out to take some sprint points. At this point some chickens entered the circuit. With about 20 laps to go Oliver and Andy came to the front to join Emile, Matthieu, and me. From this point on there were plenty of attacks. Oliver set the pace some with some PSL riders. Then with about 10 laps to go Andy joined in and around now Emile crashed. Dogs entered the circuit around this point, but nobody crashed. With 6 laps to go I joined in with the pace setting and there were still attacks. At this point we did not want to go flat out and blow ourselves up. It is important to save gas for the finale. With 2 to go Andy and Oliver were blown from their work and I started pulling a monster pull. I just went all out. With 1 to go I was hoping someone would come around me but no one did. I kept going all out until about 500 meters to go and finally someone passed me. When Matthieu passed I stopped totally. He ended up 4th in the sprint and took the lead in the sprint competition. It was a successful day for us. Tomorrow the classic finishes with a crit in Scarborough. We will defend his jersey there. Hopefully there are no chickens, goats, or dogs on the course...

No comments: