Friday, August 05, 2016

Mocksville Crit

Last night I raced the Crossroads Cycling Classic Mocksville crit. We raced for 60 minutes on a fast, 4 turn course, that was downhill between turns 1 and 2 and uphill between turns 2 and 3. It was possible to pedal through turns 2,3, and 4, so there was no way I saw a break making it to the line today. I started at the back of the field, which was terrible as it always is because the pace started off relentless from the gun. Attacks were flying left and right keeping the speed super high. It also didn't help that I didn't know the turns very well, so the whiplash at the back was terrible compared to in the first 10 wheels or so of the peloton. After about 15 minutes of racing, the pace slowed, so I made my way to the front and attacked. Even if breaks seem illogical I still have to try. There was an All About the Pipes Sprint Prime, and only 1 rider came by me at the line. The fast course made it so the motivated field could easily claw back breaks. However, any time there was a lull I would attack. The pace was fast for the mid-race All About the Pipes Sprint, so I countered that sprint. This put me into a move with Alder Martz of Attaque Team Gusto and about four other riders. Alder and I were driving it, but Johnny Mitchell of Finish Strong was sitting on. The other riders could not drive it quite so hard, so the field caught us. After that catch there was another lull, so I punched it again and drove it with Justin Meade of Finish Strong on my wheel, unwilling to work. I figured second was better than whatever place I would come in the field sprint, so I just kept driving the pace. If the gap to the field shrunk I would drive the pace harder. I ended up taking the final All About the Pipes Sprint Prime. With 4 laps to go Alder Martz and Ben Renkema of Finish Strong caught us, and I told myself "Oh no" because Alder and Ben both smoke me in sprints. Alder would work hard, and Ben would mostly sit on. I attacked with 2 laps to go but got no gap. I always tried to sit in the back from here. Going into turn 3 on the last lap, I left a big gap, so I could take the turn hard and use momentum to pass everyone. When you can't put the big watts, you have to try to find a way somehow. My tactic didn't work as Ben had too much power and chopped me, causing me to brake hard in the final turn. Alder flew by me out of the final turn with me taking third. I also ended up taking the lead in the All About the Pipes Sprint Competition after the first night. Tonight we race a 6-turn course in Downtown Statesville.


No comments: