Saturday, August 06, 2016

Asheboro Crit

Today I raced the 60 minute Asheboro Crit on a four turn, fast course, that included a 20 second hill. The pace started off fast like it always does with these crits, and I just floated around in the top 10-15 riders. After about 15 minutes of racing the bell rang for a prime, and Matt Moosa of Finish Strong let me have it. On the next lap there was a sprint prime, so I kept on the gas was able to take the sprint prime as well. Since the course was so fast it was difficult to get a break to roll, but I will always keep trying until the end. The next significant break had 7-8 riders up the road, and I bridged to it, drove the pace, and was able to take yet another prime. Ben Renkema of Finish Strong and Alder Martz of Attaque Team Gusto countered this move, so I had to follow. It included 7 riders, and all the teams at the race were represented. That made the winning move happen. Not everyone was willing to work, but I tried driving the pace the best I could. Alder was doing a lot of work as well. There were more primes and sprint primes, and the riders in the break were happy to let me have them. With 4 laps to go I did a seated surge over the hill and got a small gap. I just drove it from there, and my gap grew throughout the next laps.  I was able to take my first win of the year, and it feels good to finally get that win. I also hold on to the All About the Pipes sprint jersey heading into the final stage of the Crossroads Cycling Classic in Salisbury, NC tomorrow.

No comments: