Sunday, August 07, 2016

Salisbury Crit

Today I raced the final 60-minute stage of the Crossroads Cycling Classic on a four turn 0.9 mile circuit that included a hill up to the start finish line. There were black clouds hanging overhead at the start, so it seemed a thunderstorm would be imminent. As soon as the gun went off rain began on the first half of the course, but it never rained on the second half of the course. It was a little strange that half the course was dry, and half the course was wet. Since turns one and two were wet I decided to never take them too hot. From the first lap riders attacked up the hill, but the long, flat straightaway on the bottom of the course made it so riders could easily pull back breaks. I put in many digs myself throughout the race on the hill and on the flat part of the course. Throughout the entire race no move was able to gain a significant advantage over the peloton. This made it easy for me to take almost all the sprint primes throughout the race, securing the All About the Pipes sprint jersey. In the final laps of the race I stayed near the front and took the final turn in the top 10, passing a few guys for 7th place on the day while Ben Renkema of Finish Strong took yet another stage win over Thomas Brown of Litespeed BMW and Alder Martz of Attaque Team Gusto taking second and third respectively. My 7th place on the day secured me third overall in the omnium behind Ben and Alder. It was really fun racing the Crossroads Cycling Classic. I am thankful Alex Winnicki and Cyclus Sports allowed me to stay at their apartment for the week. Alex was a super accommodating host who even taught me how to make this flatbread pizza recipe. Next up on the calendar are the East Atlanta Village Crit and the Grant Park Crit in two weeks.

No comments: