Thursday, July 14, 2016

Gastown Grand Prix

Last night we raced the Gastown Grand Prix, one of the most historic criteriums in North America. The atmosphere at this race is unequalled by any other. We race for 50 laps on a 1 km circuit, where two of the streets are brick, and fans are roaring all the way around the circuit. Before the event began some people were pranking by pulling fire alarms. A fire truck had to come out on course and search the building. Then another fire alarm was pulled. Our race was shortened to 40 laps, and we were warned on the start line if another fire alarm was pulled we could possibly be hearing the bell for one lap to go  at any point during the race. I got a decent start mid pack, but if the race could end any time I needed to make it to the front, so I spent the first part of the race just passing people. I was able to make it toward the front near Evan after about 8 laps. There were small moves going off the front, but the fast pace meant nothing was going. About midway through the race a break of 5 rolled. It went just before I thought it would, so I missed it. I spent the next laps looking for a way to get across, but the NSWIS and Cylance teams were setting a very fast pace at the front. It didn't seem logical to jump across with the pace so high. At some point in the race a NSWIS rider crashed and went left to right across the course. I was proud of myself because I did not touch my brakes, swerved hard, and narrowly avoided a terrible crash. With 10 to go the break was very close and the speed was picking up for the finale. I am not sure why, but in the end I was losing positioning and found myself near the back of the group. Evan had a great ride staying up in the front and taking 11th place. It was a tough race last night, but tonight I will try my best to get into the moves at the Giro di Burnaby Crit.

No comments: