Friday, July 15, 2016

Giro di Burnaby

Last night we raced the Giro di Burnaby on a technical 1.2 kilometer circuit that was downhill into a hairpin and had 4 90 degree turns at the top of the course. The race started off fast like all these races have been at Superweek, but I fought hard at the start and found my way to the front of the group. Oliver, Jonah, and I did a great job covering moves throughout the race and keeping Evan fresh for the sprint. I found it hard to maintain position after going with an attack, so it was a constant battle of attack, lose position, and fight to get back to the front again. During the closing laps we were all up near Evan trying to help him to move up. On the last lap I was a few wheels behind Evan and there was a huge pileup. I was pretty sure I was going down, but I managed to come to a stop right as I was running into a fence on the outside of the crash. Riders out of contention were still railing the turn and were piling into the pileup causing more carnage. I am not so sure what these guys were thinking. I got my bike, helped Evan and the others who crashed and were injured. Evan was pretty sore, but I think he will be ok tonight. A couple guys looked pretty rough, and I hope they are ok. The redeeming factor of the night was Jonah taking 18th place. It was a great ride for him. Tonight we race the Poco Grand Prix.

No comments: